The Rio Review grew out of a desire to showcase student creative work in the Arts and Humanities. Published twice a year, Spring and Fall, the journal features poems, prose, screenplays and artwork by students at ACC. College wide in scope, submission is open to all students. Faculty and administrative staff are welcome to submit if they have taken art or creative writing classes at ACC.
To become an editor of The Rio Review, you may enroll in the Academic Coop (ENGL 2389). The Academic Coop is a capstone class for creative writing majors designed to teach students the editorial process of a literary publication.
The Rio Review accepts from ACC students:
- Poems: 1-3 per submission
- Short fiction: (short story, short-short, novel chapter, children’s writing) under 5,000 words
- Creative Non-fiction: (memoir, literary journalism, short-short, interview) under 5,000 words
- Play or screenplay: 1-2 scenes
- Artwork: (photographs, high-contrast B&W preferred; artwork, computer generated preferred; photo reproductions of painting and other forms acceptable): 4-5 submissions
- Submissions by email strongly preferred. To submit, please attach submissions as MS Word or RTF documents, JPEGs for artwork.
- Submissions must have titles on them. Please do not include your name on the document.
- Send your submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the body of your email, include the following information:
- Title of submission(s) and category (poems, short-story, etc)
- Your name
- Your phone number and email address
- Author biography: 20-50 words
Deadline for Fall Submissions: August 1
Spring Submissions: December 19
Please note: Submission does not guarantee publication and submissions will not be returned. Works selected for publication may be edited.
Austin Community College has published a literary journal of student writing since 1990. From 1990 to 1997, Professor of English Paula Robertson-Rose, based on the Riverside Campus, edited At the River’s Side. In 1998, Dorothy Ellis Barnett, director of the Creative Writing Program based on the Rio Grande Campus, launched The Rio Review. The journal was edited by faculty until 2005, when it became student-edited. Today, The Rio Review is a college-wide literary and arts journal open to all students at the college. We publish poetry, fiction, non-fiction, drama and screenplays, and each issue includes photographs, drawings, paintings or other artworks.
Copies of the most recent issues of The Rio Review are currently available. Copies are free, but we do accept contributions to the ACC Creative Writing Scholarship Fund. To inquire about copies of The Rio
Mary Rincon c/o The Rio Review
Austin Community College
Rio Grande Campus
1212 Rio Grande
Austin, Texas, 78701
Please, make the check payable to ACC Creative Writing Scholarship Fund.