We recently welcomed our first class of interns to the ABI. They have been tremendous help in setting up the different core laboratories and testing equipment. Find more out about Marcia and Mike below.

Photo of ABI intern Mike

MARCIA MCCALLUM

BACKGROUND:  I am a second generation Austin resident. I have four children, and four great grandchildren who are my love and inspiration. Before starting ACC, I had never experience education on a college level. After my kids graduated from college, I started ACC just to see if I could handle college. Since it had been 30 years since I had seen a classroom, I started with introductory classes and discovered I liked the sciences.

WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO BIOTECH:  I was taking prerequisites for nursing when my first microbiology course blew me away and I knew now where I belonged. After guidance from my Professor, I started the biotechnology program.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT ACC:  What I like best about ACC is the professors. Because of the small class sizes, the professors are able to interact with the students and provide a solid guidance. My fellow class mates are the best. We are in this together, and support each other.

WHAT IS YOUR DREAM JOB:  My dream job would be working in cell culture to that would aid in the research and development of new pharmaceuticals.

MIKE DELISI

BACKGROUND:  I’m a native Texan with a passion for food and the outdoors. When I’m not camping, backpacking, or trying to cook the perfect steak, you can find me watching movies on my couch with my fiancee Lea.

WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO BIOTECH:  Biotechnology crept up on me while I was pursuing a linguistics degree, and has stolen my attention ever since. I love the cutting edge feel that biotech has, and look forward to seeing where the industry is headed.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT ACC:  ACC has been a fantastic place to further my education. The amazing faculty and close ties to the local biotechnology industry have both been a huge benefit as I make my way through the program.

WHAT IS YOUR DREAM JOB:  I haven’t found my biotech dream job yet, but once I do I’m sure to lock on to it like a guided missile.