Thank you for continuing to be part of the ACC Bioscience Incubator network!
We haven’t been great about sending updates, so we wanted to reintroduce you to the Bioscience Incubator and remind you what what we do and why we do it.
Here’s what to expect: A series of five introductory posts that give you a sense of what we do here. Beyond that, you’ll hear from us about once a month through our newsletter.
First of all, what is The ACC Bioscience Incubator? What do we do here and why?
The ACC Bioscience Incubator is a unique startup incubator, the only one of its kind in Central Texas: We support early-stage startups in need of lab space with fully equipped facilities and infrastructure.
Although we are a startup incubator at our core, our mission is three-fold:
1. We provide early-stage bioscience startups access to affordable lab space, as well as essential equipment and instrumentation that would otherwise be too costly to access. We make research, testing, and general lab work accessible to innovators who are doing good work and changing the world. Some of our startups have just a shoestring budget and would not be able to operate without the services the Incubator provides.
“Every time I walk into ABI, I know I’m a step closer to helping those who struggle with opioid addiction.” – Yash Sabharwal, Ph.D., former CEO of NanoMedical Systems
2. We serve as Central Texas’s unique hub for bioscience. With no other facility like ours in Central Texas, ABI is at the epicenter of the life science startup scene.
3. We serve Austin Community College by giving ACC students real-world experience. Although the lab is overseen by myself, Nancy Lyon, and our lab coordinator, Shane Allen, we employ students to run a lot of the day to day operations of the facility. This includes science majors for lab maintenance, and those in business, marketing, graphic design, photography, IT, and beyond for everything else we and our member companies need.
We give students hands-on experience with actual startups, and we make them workforce ready. We’re proud that our students immediately go on to industry jobs and cite ABI as pivotal in getting them there.
Are you a bioscience startup, or do you work for one? Join our incubator:
- You’ll have access to world-class lab equipment and facilities, right at your fingertips. Our fully equipped lab space will extend your startup’s runway and save you the time involved with setting up and running a lab on your own.
- You can join our unique incubator community of innovative startups that are changing the world in such industries as therapeutics, food safety & food science, diagnostics, bioscience & biotechnology and medical devices.
- Our beautiful facility is conveniently located on the Austin Community College Highland campus, in north-central Austin. We’re 3 miles from the UT campus and about a 10-20 minute drive from almost anywhere else in Austin!
I hope that gives you a good idea of what we do. If you want to learn more about us, you can also check out our podcast, Science In The Mall, Y’all.
Next, I’ll give you a look at two examples of the amazing companies we’ve incubated: Everlum and ClearCam.
Do you have any questions, or do you want to know more? Visit our Contact page to get in touch!
ACC Bioscience Incubator Director