Story by Pete Ramirez
Graphic by Kate Korepova
Let’s face it, life is crazy right now and there is no sugar-coating it. In our fast-paced world, it’s easy to jump from one activity to the next, like a busy bumblebee flying from flower to flower collecting pollen.
Don’t you just want to take a break to catch your breath sometimes?
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a moment to try one of these three simple mindfulness exercises:
- Find a comfortable, quiet space.
- Sit, stand, or lay down.
- Take 10 deep breaths into your belly.
- Don’t force it.
- Find a comfortable place to sit.
- Set a timer for five minutes
- Close your eyes if it’s safe to do so or leave them open.
- Listen to the sounds around you.
- Hear the layers of sound that surround us throughout the day.
- Let the sounds come and go.
- Take a ten-minute walk.
- Focus on the world around you.
- Try to take in the minor details that usually get overlooked.
- Feel the sunshine on your skin.
- The wind through your hair.
- The ground beneath your feet.
If you did any of the exercises listed above, guess what?
You just practiced meditation!
Here are a few additional tips:
- Don’t expect your thoughts to stop. Even master yogis deal with a never-ending stream of thoughts. A different way to think about it is telling each thought, “Hey! Welcome to the party.”
- Be kind to yourself. However you show up to the exercise is the right way.
- Allow yourself a few minutes to take a break everyday. Things will be ok.
- A few apps are available to help begin a meditation habit and you can also find countless guided meditations on YouTube.
Now, all together. Let’s take a deep breath in…
You got this.