Computer Programmers write code, in one of a number of computer languages, for software programs and applications. They translate designs created by software developers into language a computer can follow to perform a specific task. They might also modify, test, or debug code.
Computer programmers skills:
- Use computer languages, such as C++, Python, and Java, to write code for software and applications
- Analytical and problem solving ability
- Able to stay on task, meet deadlines, and work on teams
- PayScale.com gives salary information based on location, experience, education level and more
- Austin Chamber of Commerce Job Posting Report gives monthly summaries about job postings, median salaries, etc.
- O*Net Online has career and job outlook information on Computer Science and Information Technology fields
Computer Programming Certificates and Degree
Computer programming awards were designed to stack. Start by earning your Marketable Skills award in as little as one semester as a full-time student. Continue on to earn a certificate in C++ or Java, in as little as one year, then complete your Associate of Applied Science degree in Computer Programming.
If you want to go even faster, you can earn some of the certificates through the APT (Accelerated Programmer Training) program, which enable you to complete courses online, at your own pace. Certificates available through the APT program are highlighted in orange, below.
Occupational Skills Award *
Four introductory courses in computing, programming, and networking
C++ Certificate *
Database platforms, operating system and advanced programming, C++ track
– OR –
Java Certificate *
Database platforms, operating system and object-oriented programming, Java track
Programming, AAS Degree
Degree designed for an entry-level programming position