Network Administrators plan, install and support a company’s computer system, including local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs). They maintain and support servers, desktop and mobile equipment needs. Some Network Administrators may manage help desk operations.
Network Administrator skills:
- Determine an organization’s network and computer system needs
- Analytical thinking and reasoning ability
- Attention to detail and ability to focus
- Ability to support users with varying technical skills
- PayScale.com gives salary information based on location, experience, education level and more
- Austin Chamber of Commerce Job Posting Report gives monthly summaries about job postings, median salaries, etc.
- O*Net Online has career and job outlook information on Computer Science and Information Technology fields
Network Administration Certificates and Degree
Network Administration awards were designed to stack. Start by earning your Marketable Skills award in as little as one semester as a full-time student. Continue on to earn a certificate in Local Area Network Systems, in as little as one year, then complete your Associate of Applied Science degree in either Local Area Network Systems – Network Administration or Local Area Network Systems – Security Administration Specialization.
You can also earn your certificate in Local Area Network Systems through the Information Technology Institute, a one-year program that enables you to take classes in afternoon blocks.
Occupational Skills Award
Four introductory courses in computing, information security, and networking technologies
Local Area Network Systems – Network Administration Certificate *
Programming, network technologies, TCP/IP, UNIX, hardware, and network administration courses
Local Area Network Systems – Network Administration, AAS Degree
Degree designed for an entry-level network administration position, specializing in local area network systems
– OR –
Local Area Network Systems – Security Administration Specialization, AAS Degree
The Security Administration Specialization is designed to prepare the student for employment in the areas of internet, network and operating system security