Software Testers assure the quality of software programs and applications prior to deployment. They create test scenarios to make sure that the software is working as designed. If a bug is found, the software tester will write a detailed report so a programmer can go in and correct the issue.
Software Testing skills:
- Ability to understand business situations and apply logical thinking
- Attention to detail and ability to focus
- Excellent communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity and creativity
- PayScale.com gives salary information based on location, experience, education level and more
- Austin Chamber of Commerce Job Posting Report gives monthly summaries about job postings, median salaries, etc.
- O*Net Online has career and job outlook information on Computer Science and Information Technology fields
Software Testing Certificates and Degree
Software Testing awards were designed to stack. Start by earning your Occupational Skills Award in as little as one semester as a full-time student. Continue on to earn a certificate in Computer Programming – Software Testing, in as little as one year, then complete your Associate of Applied Science degree in Computer Programming – Software Testing Specialization. Students also have the opportunity to study for and take the Certified Software Test Professional (CSTP) exam, offered at ACC Highland Business Center testing office.
Occupational Skills Award (OSA)
Computer Programming OSA features four introductory courses in computing, programming, and networking
Computer Programming – Software Testing Certificate
Computer programming, Python, PC hardware, networking technologies, database programming
Computer Programming – Software Testing Specialization, AAS Degree
Degree designed for an entry-level programming position as a software tester