Business Expense Reimbursement (G/P)

Effective date: 09/08/17

General Guidelines

Job-related mileage and petty cash transactions are reported on a monthly basis using the Accounts Payable reimbursement request form. Reimbursement requests must be submitted to Accounts Payable within 60 days of the incurred expense or transaction. Reimbursement will be paid either via direct deposit or via a check mailed to the employee’s official mailing address. Once an employee has established to receive reimbursement via direct deposit, receiving a paper check is no longer an option.

Job-related mileage and petty cash will be reimbursed only as approved by the employee’s supervisor and budget authority.

The Accounts Payable unit is responsible for providing guidance to end-users describing how to comply with these Guidelines and Procedures for Administrative Rule 4.0505.01.

Job-Related Mileage


Mileage will be reimbursed to employees who are required to drive their personal vehicle on College business to a location other than their primary work location to perform regular duties and responsibilities of their job.

  • Employees given a special one-day assignment at another location may request a reimbursement for the additional miles traveled, if the one-day distance traveled is greater than the regular distance traveled to the primary location.
  • In general, faculty cannot claim reimbursement of mileage accrued as part of their teaching duties. Faculty assigned to remote locations outside of the Austin Metropolitan Service Area (MSA) may be eligible for job-related mileage reimbursement. The Business Office shall determine eligibility of job-related mileage reimbursement for faculty assigned to remote locations.
  • Mileage is reimbursed at the standard mileage rate published by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
  • Mileage reimbursement is calculated using actual mileage traveled or the ACC Mileage Calculation Chart for campus-to-campus travel.
  • Mileage to and from home is not reimbursable.
  • Parking fees and tolls are eligible for reimbursement.

Petty Cash

In general, cash payment should be used only when other purchasing methods, such as purchase order or purchase card, are not available and is not to exceed $50 for any single transaction

  • Petty cash reimbursements will be made only for business expenses incurred by an employee in connection with the performance of the employee’s duties.
  • Original itemized receipts must be included with the reimbursement request. Missing receipts or invoices not provided by the merchant or vendor must have a written explanation from the budget authority and submitted with the reimbursement request. Taxes will not be reimbursed. ACC is exempt from payment of Texas state taxes.
  • Reimbursement requests should be sent to Accounts Payable for processing.

Back to Top