Austin Community College shall provide a safe learning environment for all students and support all federal and state regulations designed to protect individuals who receive services from ACC students.
As part of this commitment, ACC will identify all programs in which criminal background checks are required by law or as a condition of program approval/accreditation. ACC will require criminal history checks of students in these identified programs and will refuse admission to or continuation in these programs as necessary to meet such regulations or accreditation standards.
- All programs requiring criminal background checks will state this requirement in materials related to the admissions process, all orientation/information sessions, and all applicable course syllabi.
- All programs subject to criminal background check will require the criminal background check as a part of the admissions process or during the first course appropriate to the degree track. Some programs may require additional background checks throughout the degree.
- Each student who is required to have a background check will be charged a fee to cover the direct costs associated with the background check. When necessary, ACC will contract with an appropriate vendor for these services.
- Applicants who refuse to allow a criminal background check will not be considered for admission to or continuation in the degree program.
- ACC will treat criminal background checks as confidential information and will keep the records in a locked cabinet in the office of the appropriate Dean or Dean’s designee. Access will be limited to the Dean and designee. At the beginning of each academic year, each Dean will forward a list of qualified designees to the appropriate Vice President. All designees will be required to sign a confidentiality statement confirming their responsibilities related to security of the data. After completion of the degree or withdrawal from the program, these records will be archived through the college’s normal records retention process.