Austin Community College values the privacy of students, employees and clients and will comply with all laws and regulations related to privacy including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (Public Law 104-191).
Austin Community College will comply with applicable federal laws related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) that address privacy, security and transmission of protected health information (PHI) both as a hybrid provider of services and as a business associate with other covered entities.
To achieve this goal the President of the College will establish a HIPAA Task Force (which includes individuals designated as Privacy Officer, Security Officer, Training Officer, Sanctions Officer and task force members) to develop, implement and evaluate a comprehensive plan for HIPAA compliance at ACC and to fulfill the following functions:
- Designate a HIPAA Privacy Office to coordinate all aspects of HIPAA compliance and serve as contact person for questions, complaints and privacy violations.
- Provide appropriate education and training to faculty, staff, employees and students related to HIPAA regulations and security of PHI
- Oversee on-going documentation and compliance with HIPAA guidelines
- Monitor, manage and administer sanctions, as appropriate, for any HIPAA violations
- Evaluate and modify the HIPAA compliance plan as needed to reflect changes in federal regulations
- Participate in any federal audit or investigation related to HIPAA compliance.