Application Process for RN-to-BSN Students
For additional questions about the RN-to-BSN application process, please contact Karen Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 223-5937.
Print this page and use it as a checklist as you proceed. The accordion boxes will expand automatically when printed.
- Applicants must be enrolled in Austin Community College. Click here for more information. Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards required by the program.
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4-point scale for all prerequisite coursework (see the section Before You Apply below for a list of prerequisites).
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4-point scale for all nursing coursework.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better before the completion deadline.
- Applicants must have an Associate Degree in nursing from a regionally accredited institution of higher education that is accredited by a national nursing accrediting agency or a diploma in nursing from an institution that is accredited by a national nursing accrediting agency.
- All applicants must have a current, unencumbered Texas or an Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact RN license to begin the program.
Technology Requirements for Hybrid Courses
Minimum Technology Requirements:
- Access to Internet
- A reliable computer
- Microsoft Office
- For the minimum hardware and software requirements necessary to access an online class, see the Blackboard System Requirements page.
Minimum Technical Skills:
As part of your online experience, you can expect to utilize a variety of technology mediums as part of your curriculum:
- Communicate via email including sending attachments
- Navigate the World Wide Web using a Web browser such as Google Chrome
- Use office applications such as Microsoft Office (or similar) to create documents
- Be willing to learn how to communicate using a discussion board and upload assignments to a classroom Website
- Be comfortable uploading and downloading saved files
- Have easy access to the Internet
- Navigate Blackboard, including using the communication component within Blackboard
The application period for Fall 2021 applications (Full-time Hybrid, Part-time Hybrid, and Full-time Face-to-Face) is November 6, 2020 – June 1, 2021. Prerequisites must be completed by end of Spring 2021 semester.
The deadline for Spring 2022 applications (Part-time Hybrid only) is August 16, 2021. Prerequisites must be completed by end of Summer 2021 semester.
If you are in the process of taking final prerequisites, please apply by the deadline of June 1, 2021. Courses in progress at the time of application will be reviewed after grades are posted.
Currently the program is offered in a full-time (3-semester) and a part-time 5 semester option. Full-time will only start in Fall. There will be a Fall and Spring part-time option.
To view the Full-Time (3-semester) RN-to-BSN Degree Plan, click here.
To view the Part-Time (5-semester Fall Start) RN-to-BSN Degree Plan, click here.
To view the Part-Time (5-semester Spring Start) RN-to-BSN Degree Plan, click here.
- Activate your ACC email account. All correspondence regarding your application will be sent to your ACC email address. For information on how to set up your ACC email account, please see this page.
- Complete the ACC admissions process.
- Attend an optional RN-to-BSN Program Information Session. These virtual sessions are held 1-2 times per month via WebEx. For more information, click here.
- Review the RN-to-BSN website including the mandatory Program Overview and complete the post test. Retain a copy of the post test confirmation email you receive so that you can submit it with your application.
- Obtain one Letter of Recommendation from current or former nursing faculty or from employer.
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better. Applicants must have completed 54 credits from the following list of general education/prerequisite courses:
- Component Area Option (see Degree Plan)
- BIOL 2420: Microbiology for the Health Sciences
- BIOL 2401 and BIOL 2402: Anatomy & Physiology (May substitute with BIOL 2304/2101 & 2305/2102)
- ENGL 1301: English Composition I
- ENGL 1302: English Composition II or ENGL 2311: Technical and Business Writing
- MATH 1342: Elementary Statistics
- HPRS 2300: Pharmacology for Health Professions
- PHIL 2306: Ethics
- Creative Arts course from core curriculum list
- HIST 1301: U.S. History I
- HIST 1302: U.S. History II
- GOVT 2305: U.S. Government
- GOVT 2306: Texas State & Local Government
- PSYC 2301: Introduction To Psychology
- PSYC 2314: Human Growth & Development
- SPCH 1318: Interpersonal Communication or SPCH 1311: Introduction to Speech Communications
During the application period (see “Deadline” above), go to the CastleBranch website and click the “Place Order” link. Enter UL64im in the “Package Code” field. After entering your personal information, the system will prompt you to upload your 1-page immunization form for each of the four required immunizations.
The cost to set up the account is $30. All previous ACC immunizations submitted for any Health Sciences Program exempts you from paying another fee of $30. You will need to review your previous CastleBranch submission to ensure your previous Tdap has not expired. If you have a question about why an immunization was not accepted, please contact Lisa Enloe at email@example.com.
The e-mail that you linked with your CastleBranch account should be monitored on a regular basis during your application process. Students should have immunizations submitted at least 2-3 weeks prior to the application deadline to ensure they are complete at the time of application.
- Obtain an official transcript from any institution other than ACC where prerequisite coursework was completed.
- Complete a preliminary transcript review with the Health Sciences Baccalaureate Specialist.
- Download and print the RN-to-BSN Program application.
- Create a single PDF of the completed RN-to-BSN application along with all supporting application documents:
- Completed RN-to-BSN application
- Transcripts/course descriptions from colleges other than ACC, if applicable
- Letter of Recommendation from current or former faculty or from employment supervisor
- Proof of unencumbered current Texas RN license or an Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact RN License. Click here to verify your status.
- Copy of your CastleBranch showing all immunization requirements completed
- Copy of RN-to-BSN Program Overview post test confirmation email
- After completing Step 2, upload your single PDF to the appropriate application submission link below:
- Inform both the Professional Nursing Department (Sheila @ 512.223.5781) and the ACC Admissions and Records Office (512.223.5150, Option 1) of any changes in mailing or e-mail address.
- If further assistance is needed, contact Karen Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 223-5937.
Search the Health Sciences Website
Professional Nursing Updates
TEAS Testing Requirements for Health Sciences Applicants
A TEAS Exam score is required to apply to the following programs: Dental Hygiene, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiology, and Vocational Nursing.
If you are not applying to one of the programs above, then you are not required to take the TEAS Exam at this time. Please refer to the Application Process page for your program to see all application requirements.Read more
Pass/Fail Grades and HESI Testing for Associate Degree Nursing Applicants
In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact on classes, Austin Community College will offer a Pass/No Pass option for students who enrolled in the Spring 2020 semester.Read more
Anatomy and Physiology I Assessment Testing Suspended for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Registration
Due to COVID-19 and in response to ACC campuses limiting access to essential personnel only, the A&P I Assessment Test has been suspended for the remainder of the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 registration periods.Read more