Sonography Application Process – Traditional Programs
- Applicants must be enrolled in Austin Community College. Click here for more information. Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program.
- The Sonography program is open to all students. A health science background is not required to apply.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards required by the program.
- Applicants must complete all requirements to apply regardless of previous education, medical credentials, and/or medial experience.
- New students are accepted into the Sonography program in the Fall. If the application deadline ends on a weekend, the due date will end on the next business day.
- Fall applications will be accepted between April 1 – June 1.
Sonography offers two separate and specialized programs: the Diagnostic Cardiovascular Program and the Diagnostic Medical-Vascular Program. Each program is designed to prepare individuals for a career in sonography through classroom study and supervised clinical experience.
Diagnostic Cardiovascular Sonography Program
This program consists of two awards: the AAS in Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography (Echocardiography) and the ATC in Cardio-Vascular Sonography. Upon completion of the prescribed curricula of these awards, the student is eligible to apply to take examinations for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) certification in the Adult Echocardiography and Vascular Technology specialties.
Diagnostic Medical-Vascular Sonography Program
This program consists of two awards: the AAS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography and the ATC in Medical-Vascular Sonography. Upon completion of the prescribed curricula of these awards, the student is eligible to apply to take examinations for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) certification in the Abdominal, OB/GYN and Vascular Technology specialties.
The Certified Nurse Aide training (CNA) is required to apply. This training is not a credit course and can be completed through the ACC Continuing Education Division.
Applicants with outside transfer Prerequisite and/or Co-requisite courses only: obtain official transcripts for coursework taken at any schools other than ACC. Transcripts must be submitted electronically; if needed; see any ACC Admissions office at any ACC campus for assistance.
- All outside transcripts must be evaluated for credit by ACC before application to a Sonography Program. Evaluation of outside transcripts by ACC must show that transfer courses are equated to courses required in the Sonography degree plans. The Sonography Department Chair cannot override the evaluation of courses by the ACC Registrar’s Office. See the “Before You Apply” section for more information.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their ACC transcript for inclusion of transfer courses.
Complete the following prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of “C” and minimum 2.7 GPA:
|Prerequisite||Accepted Substitute Courses|
|MATH 1314: College Algebra||Will accept any other math from the Core Curriculum Course list within 5 years of the application deadline.|
|BIOL 2401: Anatomy & Physiology I||
|BIOL 2402: Anatomy & Physiology II||
|PHYS 1410: Applied Physics||
(Please check the college catalog for current prerequisites.)
|DMSO 1110: Introduction to Sonography||Effective for Fall 2023 applicants. Applicants must complete this course no later than Spring 2023. Sign up for course permission at this link.|
All prerequisites must be completed within 5 years of application date. Prerequisite courses may be repeated for a higher grade 1 time within 5 years of application date; the higher of the two grades will be used on the Applicant Ranking Worksheet.
Additional points will be awarded on the Applicant Ranking Worksheet for completion of any of the following co-requisite courses with a grade of “C” or better:
|Co-requisite||Accepted Substitute Courses|
|ENGL 1301: English Comp I||
|SPCH 1318: Interpersonal Communication||
|PSYC 2301: Introduction to Psychology||
|PHIL 2306: Ethics||
If completed prior to admission, co-requisite courses are not repeated within the Program; however, Financial Aid may be impacted when credit hours in a semester are reduced. Co-requisite courses are not required to be completed within 5 years of applying to a Sonography Program.
Use the following steps as a checklist before you continue to the next section “How to Apply.”
Program Admission & Information Sessions
- Activate your ACC email account. All correspondence regarding your application will be sent to your ACC email address. For information on how to set up your ACC email account, please see this page.
- Complete the program-required immunizations and retain a copy of your immunization form.
- Enter UL64im in the “Package Code” field. After entering your personal information, the system will prompt you to upload your 1-page immunization form for each of the four required immunizations. The cost to set up the account is $38.
- No waivers are allowed for any of the immunization requirements for Sonography.
- If your immunization record has been uploaded for the ACC CNA Program, do not upload again.
- Complete the mandatory Self-paced and Live Virtual Information Sessions. Print and keep the confirmation email you receive at the end of the Self-paced Information Session. You will upload a copy of the confirmation email to CastleBranch later in the application process.
- Review the Sonography FAQ if you have not already done so.
- Applicants with outside transfer Prerequisite and Co-requisite courses only:
- You must obtain official transcripts for coursework taken at any schools other than ACC. Transcripts must be submitted electronically; if needed, see any ACC Admissions office at any ACC campus for assistance.
- All outside transcripts must be evaluated for credit by ACC before application to a Sonography Program. Evaluation of outside transcripts by ACC must show that transfer courses are equated to courses required in the Sonography Program. Evaluation of outside transcripts by ACC must show that transfer courses are equated to courses required in the Sonography degree plans. The Sonography Department Chair cannot override the evaluation of courses by the ACC Registrar’s Office.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their ACC transcript for inclusion of transfer courses.
- Transfer courses used to meet the prerequisite requirements of a Sonography degree plan must have been completed within 5 years of application to a Sonography program.
- You may request the Sonography Department Chair to provide an unofficial review of your outside transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable); however, as stated above, the Sonography Department Chair cannot override the official evaluation of outside transcripts for credit and/or equation to courses required in the Sonography degree plans.
- Transfer/outside junior and/or senior level courses may not be equitable to a State of Texas Community College/ACC course. ACC may award credit for those courses.
- Transfer graduate level courses: ACC may award credit but will not equate the outside course directly to an ACC course.
Prerequisites & Co-requisites
- Complete all prerequisite college credit courses with grades of “C” or better. Applicants must meet a 2.7 GPA minimum in prerequisite college courses. See Prerequisites and Co-requisites for more information.
- Complete Sonography Student Lab Sessions for DMS, DCS, and VT:
- Must be completed in the ACC Sonography Programs Labs at the Eastview or Round Rock campuses.
- For DMS and VT session appointments call (512) 223-5945 (Eastview Campus).
- For DCS and VT session appointments call (512) 223-0294 (Round Rock Campus).
- Minimum of 1 session for each specialty is required. Additional points can be earned on the Applicant Ranking Worksheet for volunteering up to 4 sessions per each specialty lab session. See the Selection Process section below for more details about earning bonus points.
- You will receive a Sonography Student Lab Volunteer Session tracking form at your first volunteer session appointment. You must bring this form to every volunteer session appointment.
- If you do not keep an appointment and you do not call ahead of your appointment to reschedule, you are considered a No Call, No Show. The missed appointment will NOT be rescheduled resulting in a loss of points on your Applicant Ranking Worksheet.
- Formal Patient Care Education is required to apply. The State of Texas CNA training is the minimum training accepted for this requirement.
- CNA courses are offered through the ACC Continuing Education Division. Call (512) 223-7271 for more information.
- If taking CNA at ACC, both NURA 1001 and NURA 1060 must be completed. A CNA license is not required to apply to a sonography program.
- Immunizations, TB test, and Criminal Background Check are required.
- CNA is waived only for those applicants who have previously completed EMT-Basic, EMT-Paramedic, Radiologic Technology, RN, LVN, Physical Therapist Assistant, Certified Medical Assistant or hospital-based Patient Care Tech training or program (see next bullet).
- Applicants may substitute Patient Care Tech (PCT) training in lieu of CNA training. Patient Care Techs are trained by the facility at which they are employed. Applicants will need to provide either: a certificate/diploma documenting completion of PCT training or a signed letter from their employer on company letterhead (HR usually provides this). The letter must include dates, job titles(s), and a job description.
Ultrasound Student Assessment (USA)
The Ultrasound Student Assessment must be completed before you apply to the program. The assessment deadline is April 1 for each application cycle (2 months prior to the application deadline). If the test is not taken by this date, a submitted application for that year will be considered incomplete. It is recommended the assessment be taken as early as possible as you work towards completing the application requirements.
For more information about the USA, please see this page.
The TEAS Test is no longer required to apply to the Sonography program.
- Immunizations must be uploaded into CastleBranch before submitting application (see Before You Apply “Program Admission and Information Sessions” section #2 for instructions).
- During the application period, go to the CastleBranch website and click the link “Place Order.”
- All applicants and re-applicants must input code UL70im in the “Package Code” field. The system will prompt you to upload the following application documents. Your name must be on each document. Each of the documents must be scanned separately and uploaded into the correct item on the To Do List. All uploaded documents must be on a single page:
- Information Session email receipt, signed and dated
- Sonography Student Lab Volunteer Session tracking form
- Certified Nurse Aide (or higher) training completion documentation (diploma, certificate, or completion verification letter on institutional letterhead). CNA is waived only for those applicants who have previously completed EMT-Basic, EMT-Paramedic, Radiologic Technology, RN, LVN, Physical Therapist Assistant, Certified Medical Assistant or hospital-based Patient Care Tech training or program.
- Optional: documentation of CNA license or registry/credential in previously completed Formal Patient Care Education Program
- Optional: documentation of completion of Medical Terminology course (single page submission only, please)
- Optional: Patient Care Experience Form(s) completed by your supervisor/employer. Hours must be in addition to Formal Patient Care Education Clinical Hours, such as the clinical rotation hours in the CNA training course. Documentation of 80 hours is the minimum requirement. Phlebotomy, Pharmacy Technician, Medical Office Assistant (front office), and/or other medical office duties do not qualify for direct patient care hours.
- All uploaded documents must be approved in CastleBranch by June 1 (green check = approved).
- When you have completed all of the steps above, submit the Sonography Programs Online Application. Applications for the Fall 2023 cohort will open on April 1, 2023.
- Re-applicants must schedule a Sonography Programs Re-Applicant Review. To request a review session, please complete the form at this link.
- Admission is based on a points system using the Sonography Programs Applicant Ranking Worksheet.
- The Applicant Ranking Worksheet has been updated to reflect new program application requirements as of November 25, 2020.
- The entire applicant pool is ranked, and top ranked applicants are admitted to their Program selection listed on their Application. Applicants may select a primary Program of interest (DCVS or DMVS only) and/or they can select “Will accept admission to either Program”.
- An applicant will be notified of acceptance or non-acceptance in mid-June via the email address provided in his/her application.
- Non-accepted applicants are encouraged to schedule a review of their application with the Sonography Department Chair or Assistant Department Chair.
Provisional Admission Information
Admission to the Sonography program is provisional until the following clinical requirements are met. Do not take action on these items until instructed by the department:
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening
- TB Testing
- Health Data Form
- CPR Certification
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Seasonal Flu Vaccine
- Accepted students are required to attend a Sonography New Student Orientation held in mid to late July of each year. Information on location, date, and time will be included in the student’s acceptance packet. Advanced notice of the exact Orientation date cannot be provided prior to the generation of acceptance packets.
If you have concerns about events in your background, you may contact the Health Sciences Compliance Coordinator Lisa Enloe at (512) 223-5867 or [email protected].
Earning Bonus Points on the Applicant Ranking Worksheet
- Additional points will be awarded for completion with a grade of “C” or better of any co-requisite course (non-Sonography course) on the AAS degree plan. See Prerequisites and Co-requisites section above for more information.
- An additional 0.5 points will be awarded for documented completion of any Medical Terminology course.
- Additional points will be awarded for completion of EMT-Basic or higher (LVN, RN, Rad Tech, Paramedic only) instead of or in addition to minimum required CNA training.
- Additional points will be awarded for documentation of CNA license or registry/credential in previously completed formal patient care education program (CMA, LVN, RN, EMT-Basic, Paramedic only).
- Additional points will be awarded for 80 or more hours of volunteer or paid patient care experience, including work as a Patient Care Tech (PCT). Hours must be in addition to Formal Patient Care Education Clinical Hours. The Patient Care Experience Form must be used to document your additional patient care experience hours. Phlebotomy, Pharmacy Technician, Medical Office Assistant (front office) and/or other medical office duties do not qualify for direct patient care hours.
- One additional point will be awarded to a re-applicant who ranked in the previous year for the same sonography program.
Search the Health Sciences Website
The Immunization and Tests Required Form Has Been Updated
The Immunizations and Tests Required Form has been updated as of May 6, 2022. Please use the latest form when submitting your application requirements. For more information, visit the Immunizations page.Read more
2022 Traditional Sonography Programs Online Application is now open
The current application period is open until June 1, 2022. For more information, please visit the Application Process page.Read more
ACC COVID-19 Information
Please check the Coronavirus page often for the latest information on ACC's response to the pandemic.Read more