Veterinary Technology Application Process
If you need additional help with the application process, please contact us.
- Applicants must be enrolled in Austin Community College. Click here for more information. Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program.
- The Veterinary Technology program is open to all students. A health science background is not required to apply.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards required by the program.
- Applicants with a criminal record will need an evaluation from the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners. For additional information please see https://www.veterinary.texas.gov/forms.php
- Students are not required to have a Social Security number to attend Austin Community College. However, a social security number is required to take the Texas Licensing Exam to be a Veterinary Technologist.
New students are accepted into the Veterinary Technology program in the Fall.
Applications are accepted between February 1 – June 1. Applications must be physically received by the close of business on the deadline date. If the deadline date falls on a weekend, the deadline will be extended to the next regular business day.
- Activate your ACC email account. All correspondence regarding your application will be sent to your ACC email address. For information on how to set up your ACC email account, please see this page.
- Complete the program-required immunizations and retain a copy of your immunization form. Students applying to the Veterinary Technology program are only required to submit a TDAP administered in the last 10 years.
- Complete the mandatory online Veterinary Technology Information Session. Print and keep a copy of the post-test confirmation email.
- Obtain official, sealed transcripts for coursework taken at any schools other than ACC.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with grades of “C” or better. Prerequisites taken at schools other than ACC must have official transcripts and course descriptions with your application. Course substitutions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- BIOL 1406: Cellular and Molecular Biology (must be completed in last 10 years)
- PSYC 2301: Introduction to Psychology
- MATH (3 credits of any college-level math from the Core Curriculum completed in last 10 years)
- ENGL 1301: English Composition I
- Completion of the co-requisite course PHIL 2306: Ethics is not required but will result in a higher ranking (see “Selection Process” below).
- Complete 80 hours of paid or unpaid experience under the supervision of a LVT or DVM (working, career shadowing, or observing in a veterinary hospital or clinic) and fill out the Veterinary Technology Work Experience form. This requirement is waived for the 2021 application cycle. Please see this page for more information.
- Meet with the Veterinary Technology Department Chair or Veterinary Technology Coordinator by May 1. To schedule an appointment, please contact Nancy De Leon at email@example.com or (512)-223-9464. Appointments for students applying for the current cycle of applications will be held during the months of March and April.
- During the application period (see “Deadline” above), go to the CastleBranch website and click the link “Place Order.”
- Enter UL64im in the “Package Code” field. After entering your personal information, the system will prompt you to upload your 1-page immunization form for each of the four required immunizations. The cost to set up the account is $30.
- Next input code UL84im in the “Package Code” field. The system will prompt you to upload the following application documents:
- Documents are approved when you receive a green check next to the requirement. All items must be approved in CastleBranch before your application will be accepted.
- After completing the steps above for CastleBranch (green checks = clearance), download and complete the Veterinary Technology program application:
- Applications will not be accepted in person until further notice. Follow the instructions on this page to submit your application remotely.
A ranking system is utilized for the selection of qualified applicants to the Veterinary Technology program. The following is the Veterinary Technology selection criteria effective for the Fall 2018 application cycle (See “Deadline” above for dates of cycle).
- PSYC 2301 and ENGL 1301
- “A” = 10 points
- “B” = 8 points
- “C” = 6 points
- BIOL 1406 and MATH course
- “A” = 20 points
- “B” = 15 points
- “C” = 10 points
- PHIL 2306
- “A” = 3 points
- “B” = 2 points
- “C” = 1 point
- Employment in veterinary hospital/clinic = 5 points for working as a technician, veterinary assistant, or kennel assistant doing restraint, clinical procedures such as giving injections, placing catheters, taking radiographs, and providing nursing care.
- Career shadowing in veterinary hospital/clinic = 4 points for observing and interacting with the DVM and LVT (see the Work Experience form)
- Volunteering at animal shelter/ rescue = 1 point for participation in feline socialization, canine kennel care, experience with socializing shelter animals including feeding, watering and general care of the animals.
- Please contact us for more information about experience points.
Total of 68 possible points. If there are applicants that have equal number of points, the earlier application submission will “break the tie.”
To be compliant with clinical facility requirements, a mandatory criminal background check and drug screening will be required prior to admission. Click here for more information. Do not submit your criminal background request or drug screening until directed to do so by the program. Additional rabies vaccination documentation will also be required once accepted into the program.
Individuals with a criminal history will be required to submit a letter from the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners indicating eligibility of applicant for licensure. This process takes up to 90 days. Starting the process early is required. Please go to https://www.veterinary.texas.gov/forms.php
Search the Health Sciences Website
Veterinary Technology Updates
Free PCR Testing for Students & Faculty
Free PCR Testing for COVID-19 is available to students and faculty at the following links:Read more
Work Experience Hours Waived for 2021 Application Cycle
Due to COVID-19, the Veterinary Technology Program is waiving the 80 hours of career/shadowing work experience for the 2021 application cycle. Please contact Administrative Assistant Nancy DeLeon at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.Read more
TEAS Testing Requirements for Health Sciences Applicants
A TEAS Exam score is required to apply to the following programs: Dental Hygiene, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiology, and Vocational Nursing.
If you are not applying to one of the programs above, then you are not required to take the TEAS Exam at this time. Please refer to the Application Process page for your program to see all application requirements.Read more