Surgical Technology Application Process
- Applicants must be enrolled in Austin Community College. Click here for more information. Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program.
- The Surgical Technology program is open to all students. A health science background is not required to apply.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards required by the program.
Applications for this program are accepted on an on-going basis once all admission requirements have been met. Students are admitted based on their application date on a first-come, first-serve basis.
ARC/STSA Board of Directors have mandated language related to Standard I. A. Sponsorship of the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) Standards and Guidelines for the Accreditation of Education Programs in Surgical Technology as follows:
All graduates must complete the program with a minimum of an Associate Degree on or after August 1, 2021.
This applies to all students entering the Surgical Technology program with a Fall 2020 start date and thereafter.
- Activate your ACC email account. All correspondence regarding your application will be sent to your ACC email address. For information on how to set up your ACC email account, please see this page.
- Complete the immunization requirements and document immunizations on the required Health Sciences immunization form.
- Review the mandatory online Information Session, then print and keep a copy of the post-test confirmation email.
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a minimum GPA of 2.7. We accept grades of “C” or better. Please note that a “P” grade will not be calculated in determining the GPA. Courses may be in progress in Spring 2021 or Summer 2021 for Fall 2021 applications.
- BIOL 2401: Anatomy and Physiology I (please see this page)
- BIOL 2402: Anatomy and Physiology II (must be completed within 5 years of the application deadline; BIOL 2401 is a prerequisite.)
- BIOL 2420: Introduction to Microbiology (must be completed within 5 years of the application deadline; BIOL 2401 is a prerequisite.)
- HPRS 2300: Pharmacology for Health Professions (BIOL 2401 is a prerequisite.)
- HPRS 1106: Essentials of Medical Terminology
- MATH 1314: College Algebra (or MATH 1332: College Mathematics, or MATH 1342: Elementary Statistics, or higher level math course; MATH 1333 not accepted)
- Due to the rigorous nature of the program, you are strongly encouraged to complete the 3 co-requisite courses before entering the Associate of Applied Science degree program. If these classes are completed at time of application, they will be calculated in the GPA:
- ENGL 1301: English Composition I
- PSYC 2301: Introduction to Psychology
- PHIL 2306: Ethics (or a 3-credit hour Language/Philosophy/Culture or Creative Arts course from the core curriculum list)
- Obtain official transcripts for coursework taken at any schools other than ACC.
- Go to the CastleBranch website and click the link “Place Order.”
- Enter UL64im in the “Package Code” field. After entering your personal information, the system will prompt you to upload your 1-page immunization form for each of the four required immunizations. The cost to set up the account is $30.
- Next input code UL83im in the “Package Code” field. The system will prompt you to upload your signed Information Session post-test confirmation email.
- Documents are approved when you receive a green check next to the requirement. All items must be approved in CastleBranch before your application will be accepted.
Applications for the Surgical Technology program are accepted on an on-going basis. Admission is based on application date. Upon receipt of your completed application, you will be placed in the next beginning class in which openings are available.
The program admits students twice a year:
- Fall – 24 students admitted, 16 at Eastview Campus and 8 at Round Rock Campus
- Spring – 16 students admitted at Eastview Campus only
Provisional Admission Information
Admission to the Surgical Technology program is provisional until the following clinical requirements are met. Do not take action on these items until instructed by the department:
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening
- TB Testing
- Health Data Form
- CPR Certification
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Seasonal Flu Vaccine
- Completion of Online Education Modules
If you have concerns about events in your background, you may contact the Health Sciences Compliance Coordinator Lisa Enloe at (512) 223-5867 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students may defer their admission to the next admission cycle with a limit of 2 deferrals. For example:
- Defer Fall admission to following Spring semester = deferral #1,
- Defer Spring semester to following Fall semester = deferral #2/deferral limit met
All admission criteria must be met for the semester the student enters the program. For example:
- In the event any of your courses expire under the 5-year time limit rule during your deferral period, the expired course(s) will need to be repeated prior to being admitted under the deferral policy.
- Once the 2 semester limit is reached, the student must reapply with a new application, meet all current admission criteria, and be assigned to the next available seat in the program.
- Surgical Technology degree plan course equivalents or substitutions can be found here.
- Students interested in the Surgical Technology program are advised to be diligent and proactive in routinely reviewing this website for updates to the application process and/or the degree plan and for department announcements.
- All student activities associated with the curriculum, especially while students are completing clinical rotations, will be educational in nature. Students will not be substituted for hired staff personnel within the clinical institution, in the capacity of a surgical technologist.
Search the Health Sciences Website
Surgical Technology Updates
Job Opportunity for Surgical Technology Students
Dell Children's Medical Center is starting a new program for fetal interventional surgery (surgery on babies while they are still in utero). It will be one of the only delivery units attached to a children's hospital. They are hiring two teams: one that will specialize in fetal interventional surgery (those postings will be at Dell Children's Medical Center) and another team to work in the maternal delivery unit (those postings will be at Ascension Seton Medical Center). Please see the attached flyer for more information.Read more
TEAS Testing Requirements for Health Sciences Applicants
A TEAS Exam score is required to apply to the following programs: Dental Hygiene, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiology, and Vocational Nursing.
If you are not applying to one of the programs above, then you are not required to take the TEAS Exam at this time. Please refer to the Application Process page for your program to see all application requirements.Read more
Spring 2021 Application Update
The Surgical Technology Department will be allowing applications for Spring 2021 to be submitted with the required prerequisites in progress for Fall 2020. Please submit your application to email@example.com.Read more