Sonography Application Process – Cardiac Advanced Technical Certificate Program
This degree plan is for credentialed sonographers seeking formal education in cardiac sonography. If you do not currently hold an active RDMS, RVT or RVS credential and/or do not have a minimum of two years work experience in sonography, please navigate to the application process for traditional sonography programs.
- Applicants must be enrolled in Austin Community College. Click here for more information. Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program.
- Applicants must already possess, at minimum, an Associate of Applied Science degree (AAS) in Diagnostic Medical and/or Vascular Sonography from an accredited program.
- Applicants must hold active sonography credentials through ARDMS, CCI or AART.
- Applicants must have two years of verifiable work experience in their related field.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards required by the program.
- Applications are accepted and reviewed year round.
- Depending on space availability, accepted students will begin the program in the upcoming Fall semester.
- In this degree plan, students will earn an Advanced Technical Certificate in Cardiac Sonography. This program is designed to provide entry-level formal education in adult echocardiography to credentialed sonographers wanting to expand their knowledge base and skill set.
- Enrolled students will practice adult echocardiography in the on-campus lab setting while concurrently attending didactic classes. Clinical experience in the off-campus environment is not offered in this program.
- The program is one year long (3 semesters), and each semester must be completed consecutively.
- To view the Cardiac Sonography Advanced Technical Certificate degree plan, click here.
Prerequisite and co-requisite courses are waived pending review of official transcripts from the college where the student earned their AAS in Diagnostic Medical and/or Vascular Sonography.
Use the following steps as a checklist before you continue to the next section “How to Apply.”
- Apply to ACC and select General Studies in Pre-Health Sciences as your major. For more information, click here.
- Activate your ACC email account. All correspondence regarding your application will be sent to your ACC email address. For information on how to set up your ACC email account, please see this page.
- Contact [email protected] to schedule an advising session with the Cardiac Sonography Program director.
- Complete the program-required immunizations and retain a copy of your immunization form.
- Navigate to the CastleBranch website. Select “Place Order” at the top of the homepage.
- Enter UL64im in the “Package Code” field. After entering your personal information, the system will prompt you to upload your 1-page immunization form for each of the four required immunizations. The cost to set up the account is $38.
- No waivers are allowed for any of the immunization requirements for Sonography.
- Applicants with outside transfer courses:
- Obtain and submit official transcripts for completed sonography coursework taken at any colleges other than ACC. Transcripts must be submitted electronically; if needed, see any ACC Admissions office at any ACC campus for assistance.
- Submit unofficial transcripts per request to the Cardiac Sonography Program director.
- All outside transcripts will be evaluated by program faculty.
- Place an order on the CastleBranch website for your application documents using package code UL33im. Submit the following items:
- Create a resume using this template. All sections must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please submit in PDF format.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS/CPR) card.
- Unexpired sonography certification card or letter from your respective credentialing organization. This document must include your ID number.
- Admission is on a first come, first serve basis. Generally, the department is able to accommodate two students per cohort in addition to the traditional cardiovascular sonography students.
- In the event that multiple students apply at the same time, the program will use a ranking system to determine eligibility for admission.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance or nonacceptance via ACC email.
Search the Health Sciences Website
Permission Required to Register for DMSO 1110
Fall 2023 applicants must complete DMSO 1110 no later than Spring 2023. Sign up for course permission at this link.Read more
The Immunization and Tests Required Form Has Been Updated
The Immunizations and Tests Required Form has been updated as of May 6, 2022. Please use the latest form when submitting your application requirements. For more information, visit the Immunizations page.Read more
2022 Traditional Sonography Programs Online Application is now open
The current application period is open until June 1, 2022. For more information, please visit the Application Process page.Read more