Sonography Application Process
- Applicants must be enrolled in Austin Community College. Click here for more information. Admission to Austin Community College does not guarantee admission to a Health Sciences program.
- The Sonography program is open to all students. A health science background is not required to apply.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards required by the program.
- Applicants must complete all requirements to apply regardless of previous education, medical credentials, and/or medial experience.
- New students are accepted into the Sonography program in the Fall. If the application deadline ends on a weekend, the due date will end on the next business day.
- Fall applications will be accepted between April 1 – June 1 (extended to June 26 for Fall 2020 applicants only).
Sonography offers two separate and specialized programs: the Diagnostic Cardiovascular Program and the Diagnostic Medical-Vascular Program. Each program is designed to prepare individuals for a career in sonography through classroom study and supervised clinical experience.
Diagnostic Cardiovascular Sonography Program
This program consists of two awards: the AAS in Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography (Echocardiography) and the ATC in Cardio-Vascular Sonography. Upon completion of the prescribed curricula of these awards, the student is eligible to apply to take examinations for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) certification in the Adult Echocardiography and Vascular Technology specialties.
Diagnostic Medical-Vascular Sonography Program
This program consists of two awards: the AAS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography and the ATC in Medical-Vascular Sonography. Upon completion of the prescribed curricula of these awards, the student is eligible to apply to take examinations for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) certification in the Abdominal, OB/GYN and Vascular Technology specialties.
The Certified Nurse Aide training (CNA) is required to apply. This training is not a credit course and can be completed through the ACC Continuing Education Division.
Applicants with outside transfer Prerequisite and/or Co-requisite courses only: obtain official transcripts for coursework taken at any schools other than ACC. Transcripts must be submitted electronically; if needed; see any ACC Admissions office at any ACC campus for assistance. All outside transcripts must be evaluated for credit by ACC before application to a Sonography Program.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their ACC transcript for inclusion of transfer courses.
- The Sonography Department Chair must complete an unofficial transcript review of an applicant’s Prerequisite and/or Co-requisite courses if those courses are from a 4-year college/university within or outside of Texas or a community college that is outside of Texas. The applicant must bring an unofficial copy of outside transcript(s) to this meeting. Email the Sonography Department Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
Complete the following prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of “C” and minimum 2.7 GPA:
|MATH 1314: College Algebra||Accepted only if previously completed MATH 1314:
Note: an applicant must successfully complete MATH 1314 to take PHYS 1410 and must complete MATH 1314 within 5 years of applying to a Sonography Program. If MATH 1314 is out-of-date for Sonography application (PHYS 1410 does not have a cut-off time limit), the applicant can take one of the Alternative math courses listed above to bring the math course requirement into compliance with the 5 year cut-off time limit.
|BIOL 2401: Anatomy & Physiology I||
|BIOL 2402: Anatomy & Physiology II||
|PHYS 1410: Applied Physics||
All prerequisites must be completed within 5 years of application date. Prerequisite courses may be repeated for a higher grade 1 time within 5 years of application date; the higher of the two grades will be used on the Applicant Ranking Worksheet.
Additional points will be awarded on the Applicant Ranking Worksheet for completion of any of the following co-requisite courses with a grade of “C” or better:
|ENGL 1301: English Comp I||
|SPCH 1318: Interpersonal Communication||
|PSYC 2301: Introduction to Psychology||
|PHIL 2306: Ethics||
If completed prior to admission, co-requisite courses are not repeated within the Program; however, Financial Aid may be impacted when credit hours in a semester are reduced. Co-requisite courses are not required to be completed within 5 years of applying to a Sonography Program.
Use the following steps as a checklist before you continue to the next section “How to Apply.”
Program Admission & Information Sessions
- Applicants must meet the requirements outlined in the “Eligibility” section above.
- Complete the program-required immunizations and retain a copy of your immunization form.
- Enter UL64im in the “Package Code” field. After entering your personal information, the system will prompt you to upload your 1-page immunization form for each of the four required immunizations. The cost to set up the account is $30.
- No waivers are allowed for any of the immunization requirements for Sonography.
- If your immunization record has been uploaded for the ACC CNA Program, do not upload again.
- Complete the mandatory Online Information Session. Print and keep the email receipt you will receive at the end of the session. You must bring a printed copy of this verification email to the Onsite Information Session.
- Review the Sonography FAQ if you have not already done so.
- Attend an Onsite Information Session. You must bring a printed copy the post-test verification email from Step 3 to the Onsite Information Session. Please note that the Onsite Information Session has been updated for all 2020 applicants due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Applicants with outside transfer Prerequisite and Co-requisite courses only: obtain official transcripts for coursework taken at any schools other than ACC. Transcripts must be submitted electronically; if needed, see any ACC Admissions office at any ACC campus for assistance. All outside transcripts must be evaluated for credit by ACC before application to a Sonography Program.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their ACC transcript for inclusion of transfer courses.
- The Sonography Department Chair must complete an unofficial transcript review of an applicant’s Prerequisite and/or Co-Requisite transfer courses if those courses are from a 4-year college/university within or outside of Texas or a community college that is outside of Texas. The applicant must bring an unofficial copy of outside transcript(s) to this meeting. Email the Sonography Department Chair at email@example.com for an appointment.
Prerequisites & Co-requisites
- Complete all prerequisite college credit courses with grades of “C” or better. Applicants must meet a 2.7 GPA minimum in prerequisite college courses. See Prerequisites and Co-requisites for more information.
- Complete Sonography Student Lab Sessions for DMS, DCS, and VT:
- Must be completed in the ACC Sonography Programs Labs at the Eastview or Round Rock campuses.
- For DMS and VT session appointments call (512) 223-5945 (Eastview Campus).
- For DCS and VT session appointments call (512) 223-0294 (Round Rock Campus).
- Minimum of 1 session for each specialty is required. Additional points can be earned on the Applicant Ranking Worksheet for volunteering up to 4 sessions per each specialty lab session. See the Selection Process section below for more details about earning bonus points.
- You will receive a Sonography Student Lab Volunteer Session tracking form at your first volunteer session appointment. You must bring this form to every volunteer session appointment.
- If you do not keep an appointment and you do not call ahead of your appointment to reschedule, you are considered a No Call, No Show. The missed appointment will NOT be rescheduled resulting in a loss of points on your Applicant Ranking Worksheet.
- Formal Patient Care Education is required to apply. The State of Texas CNA training is the minimum training accepted for this requirement.
- CNA courses are offered through the ACC Continuing Education Division. Call (512) 223-7271 for more information.
- If taking CNA at ACC, both NURA 1001 and NURA 1060 must be completed. A CNA license is not required to apply to a sonography program.
- Immunizations, TB test, and Criminal Background Check are required.
- CNA is waived only for those applicants who have previously completed and EMT-Basic, EMT-Paramedic, Radiologic Technology, RN, LVN, Physical Therapist Assistant, or hospital-based Patient Care Tech training or program.
ACC eID & TEAS Testing
- You must set-up your ACC eID and activate your ACCmail account (this is part of the ACC Admission process). See Admissions Checklist, #2 in the ACC Application Checklist “How To” section.
- Take the ATI TEAS for Allied Health exam one time between January 1 and June 1 of the year of application. We recommend taking TEAS after completion of Prerequisite college courses. Failure to comply with the above time frame and/or number of times allowed will result in 0 points in this criterion on the Applicant Ranking Worksheet. Applicants who have taken the TEAS for application to another health science program and/or re-applicants to a sonography program must contact the Sonography Programs Department Chair for approval to re-take the TEAS exam. There is no minimum or cut-off score for the TEAS required to apply to a Sonography Program. Points on your Applicant Ranking Worksheet are earned from 10% of your Total Score plus 10% of your Reading Score. Listed below are resources to aid in preparing for the ATI TEAS for Allied Health examination:
- You must have an ACC eID and ACCmail account to apply. Sonography applications without an ACC eID and ACC email address are not accepted.
- Immunizations must be uploaded into CastleBranch before submitting application (see Before You Apply “Program Admission and Information Sessions” section #2 for instructions).
- During the application period, go to the CastleBranch website and click the link “Place Order.”
- All applicants and re-applicants must input code UL70im in the “Package Code” field. The system will prompt you to upload the following application documents. Your name must be on each document. Each of the documents must be scanned separately and uploaded into the correct item on the To Do List. All uploaded documents must be on a single page:
- Information Session email receipt, signed and dated
- TEAS test Individual Performance Profile (only this page is accepted)
- Sonography Student Lab Volunteer Session tracking form
- Certified Nurse Aide (or higher) training completion documentation (diploma, certificate, or completion verification letter on institutional letterhead). CNA is waived only for those applicants who have previously completed and EMT-Basic, EMT-Paramedic, Radiologic Technology, RN, LVN, Physical Therapist Assistant, or hospital-based Patient Care Tech training or program.
- Optional: documentation of CNA license or registry/credential in previously completed Formal Patient Care Education Program
- Optional: documentation of completion of Medical Terminology course (single page submission only, please)
- Optional: Patient Care Experience Form(s) completed by your supervisor/employer. Hours must be in addition to Formal Patient Care Education Clinical Hours, such as the clinical rotation hours in the CNA training course. Unsupervised home health care, Phlebotomy, Pharmacy Technician, Medical Office Assistant (front office), and/or other medical office duties do not qualify for direct patient care hours.
- All uploaded documents must be approved in CastleBranch by June 1 (green check = approved by CastleBranch).
- Applicants must submit the Online Application Form between April 1 and June 1. The Online Application may be submitted while CastleBranch uploads are in process or have been approved. Applicants must contact the Sonography Department Chair by email prior to June 1 if any document submitted to CastleBranch is rejected or marked incomplete.
- Re-applicants planning to reapply must schedule a Sonography Programs Re-Applicant ARW Session to review their Applicant Ranking Worksheet. Click here for the ARW Session request form.
- Admission is based on a points system using the Sonography Programs Applicant Ranking Worksheet.
- The entire applicant pool is ranked, and top ranked applicants are admitted to their Program selection listed on their Application. Applicants may select a primary Program of interest (DCVS or DMVS only) and/or they can select “Will accept admission to either Program”.
- An applicant will be notified of acceptance or non-acceptance in mid-June via the email address provided in his/her application.
- Non-accepted applicants are encouraged to schedule a review of their application with the Sonography Department Chair or Assistant Department Chair.
Provisional Admission Information
Admission to the Sonography program is provisional until the following clinical requirements are met. Do not take action on these items until instructed by the department:
- Criminal background check
- Drug Screening
- TB Testing
- Health Data Form
- CPR certification
- Proof of health insurance
- Seasonal flu vaccine
- Accepted students are required to attend a Sonography New Student Orientation held in mid to late July of each year. Information on location, date, and time will be included in the student’s acceptance packet. Advanced notice of the exact Orientation date cannot be provided prior to the generation of acceptance packets.
If you have concerns about events in your background, you may contact the Health Sciences Compliance Coordinator Lisa Enloe at (512) 223-5867 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earning Bonus Points on the Applicant Ranking Worksheet
- Additional points will be awarded for completion with a grade of “C” or better of any co-requisite course (non-Sonography course) on the AAS degree plan. See Prerequisites and Co-requisites section above for more information.
- An additional 0.5 points will be awarded for documented completion of any Medical Terminology course.
- Additional points will be awarded for completion of EMT-Basic or higher (LVN, RN, Rad Tech, Paramedic only) instead of or in addition to minimum required CNA training.
- Additional points will be awarded for documentation of CNA license or registry/credential in previously completed Formal Patient Care Education Program (LVN, RN, EMT-Basic, Paramedic only).
- Additional points will be awarded for 80 or more hours of volunteer or paid patient care experience. Hours must be in addition to Formal Patient Care Education Clinical Hours. The Patient Care Experience Form must be used to document your additional patient care experience hours. Phlebotomy, Pharmacy Technician, Medical Office Assistant (front office) and/or other medical office duties do not qualify for direct patient care hours.
Search the Health Sciences Website
Anatomy and Physiology I Assessment Testing Suspended for Summer and Fall 2020 Registration Only
Due to COVID-19, and in response to ACC campuses limiting access to essential personnel only, the A&P I Assessment Test has been suspended for the remainder of this testing period and the Fall testing period. Students will not need permission to register for BIOL 2401 for Summer '20 and Fall '20 registration periods ONLY.Read more
Onsite Information Session Updated for 2020 Applicants
If you are applying to a Sonography program beginning in 2020, please complete this version of the Onsite Information Session to fulfill the application requirement.Read more
The Applicant Ranking Worksheet has been updated
The Applicant Ranking Worksheet has been updated and reposted for the 2020 Application Selection Process. Please note that the number of hours of Direct Patient Care Experience has been reduced from 80 hours to any hours. Applicants must upload a completed DPCE form into CastleBranch.Read more