By | March 26, 2020

senate logo

Dear Faculty Colleagues,

I’m writing with several important items. These weren’t available in time for this week’s Senate Standard. Please review each carefully as soon as you are able. As always, let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Senate Bylaws

The Senate has been working on updating our bylaws for the past three years. We are very excited because we are finally ready to offer the new bylaws to the full faculty for a vote. There are a lot of important changes aimed at improving representation and the way we hold ourselves accountable.

Together with the Bylaws committee, I have prepared a document that summarizes all of the major changes in our proposed bylaws. It also has links to the redlined and clean versions of the proposed bylaws. It is my hope that this will make it easier for all of you to understand the new rules we are hoping to adopt. Please take a few minutes to review the document and the proposed bylaws. You will be asked to vote on them beginning April 10. I am hopeful that you will agree with the senate that these changes are valuable.

Note about voting: We plan to hold our regular election starting April 10. This is the same day that the senate will meet, which puts us in violation of the current bylaws. Our rules state that once the senate decides to send bylaws out for a vote of the full faculty, voting must start before the next senate meeting. We are just going to be off by one day, but we will need this time to generate the ballots. I request your understanding on this, given that this is turning out to be a very unusual semester.

Testing Center Exceptions [now due April 13]

I have just been informed that the deadline to apply for exceptions to use the testing centers has been extended from March 27 to April 13. Administration recognizes that our new online work situation could slow down the process for applying. If your department is considering applying for an exception, please visit this website to find the exception requirements and to review the new policies for faculty using the testing centers.

ACC Student Tech Survey

As all of us navigate the new challenges of transitioning to online, one of the biggest concerns I’ve heard from faculty is their worry that our students won’t have resources to get online.

I’ve been in regular communication with administration on this issue. I can assure you that they are well aware of our concerns, and they share them. ACC is working hard to ensure that all of our students have access to our online education, and we are doing an incredible job of organizing resources to support our students. To date, administration decided to purchase 1,000 ipads to use as loaners for students. These devices have been ordered and should arrive as early as today. Upon arrival, they will be processed and prepared for student use, and a team is being organized to help distribute them to students.

In addition, at least one ACCelerator will remain open (HLC) to provide students tech and internet access. They will ensure that everyone in that facility complies with social distancing. To do so, they will adjust access such that appointments and/or time limits are used if they find that is necessary.

One of the most helpful things you can do right now is to make sure that we identify which students need the ipads. The college has sent a survey to all students that allows them to alert us to their needs, but some students may be more likely to open an email from their instructors. Consider sharing this link [https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MH3DXLJ] with your students. Let them know that if they need help getting online, this is the way to get on the list to receive the loaner ipads.

You can also help our students by getting them connected to free internet. There are several options currently as internet providers are attempting to help students by offering free hotspots and internet access. See details HERE.

My thanks to all of you for taking the time to review my communications. I know we are all being bombarded by email right now.

Good luck this week as you stretch your online educator wings. Rely on each other and share best practices as you find them. If you are a facebooker, you might find the ACC group for going online helpful. I know I have.

Best,

++missi patterson