By | August 19, 2020
senate logo

THE SENATE STANDARD – ISSUE 47

ACC Full-Time Faculty Senate Website

ACC Coronavirus page

Dear Faculty Colleagues,

This will be my last email to you as Senate President. It is a light news week, and so I hope you’ll permit me the chance to wax nostalgic as I bid you all goodbye. For those of you who know me well, I’m about to let my inner marshmallow out. For those of you who don’t, you’re about to…

As I look back at our year together, I can honestly say that I never could have imagined how much would change in such a short time. Serving in this role has been so many things: challenging, interesting, exasperating, surprising, and full of joy. I’ve been honored to work with so many wonderful people. The chance to collaborate with my student-focused ACC family, including faculty, staff, and administration, has been a learning experience that I will always treasure.

I want to take a moment to thank the many folks who made this year a success despite a pandemic. Yam Tolan, Past President and my Senate big brother, has been a mentor and friend beyond compare. I’m grateful to him for all he’s taught me and continues to teach me. Wayne Butler, your new President, has been a constant cheerleader and a thoughtful leader who has served with grace. I can’t wait to watch him bring the Senate into 2021. Samantha Croft, Eva Thomsen, Beth Frye, Jordan Forbes-Hagan, and Marilyn Yale were a leadership team that I counted on every step of the way. I relied on their counsel and was never disappointed. I owe them all a beer or maybe twenty. Cassandra Olivo, our association administrative assistant, has lightened my load and made a whole host of things possible that will move the Senate forward in important ways. I’m also grateful to the Senators, committee chairs and members who have given of their time to ensure the faculty voice is heard loud and clear throughout the college.  I’ve been lucky to be a part of an incredible team, and I thank them all.

Many years ago, as a first-time Senator, I remember watching our Senate President at a meeting and thinking to myself – “I’m so glad that is him and not me – I could NEVER do that!” I share this with you all because despite those doubts, when I was asked to take this on, I did. If right now, you don’t see yourself as wanting to serve in the Senate, I hope you’ll reconsider. Our students are served best when they have an active, engaged, and informed faculty. I think a strong Senate is key to that. I know that there are many gifted faculty out there who can do amazing things college-wide if they are willing to take a chance and step outside of the classroom. Participation in our association and in ACC Shared Governance helps our entire institution, and it is personally rewarding too. I invite you to be a part of your Full-Time Faculty Senate. I hope you’ll give it a try. As Past President now, I’m happy to help you learn more about ways you can get involved.

So that is it. I thank you all for hanging in with me, through a pandemic and and learning how to work from home. I miss seeing you all, and being on campus with our students. I keep my fingers crossed that sometime soon, it will be safe for us all to work together in person again. I hope you have a wonderful semester, and a fabulous year. Please stay safe and healthy.

There is more to say, but I’ve got to stop. I’ll get even sappier if I go on. Just know that the mission we are engaged in at ACC has value, and that each and every one of you are part of improving lives and bringing possibilities to people who deserve that. How lucky are we?

Peace out, Y’all.

Senate Meetings / Minutes / Agendas

9/11/20 Senate Meeting noon -2pm – This is the first call for agenda items for our July meeting. Please send items for consideration to our new President, Wayne Butler, at [email protected] or to your campus senator by Friday, September 4. Details for how to join this meeting online can be found on the Senate Calendar. You can also add the event (and online joining details) to your own calendar by clicking the link above.

Best,

++missi patterson